Over the course of time

Our history began 140 years ago in a modest music box factory in Unterkulm. Today, we are an international enterprise serving discerning customers all over the world. We have achieved this through years of courage, skill and striving to make a difference. But let's start from the beginning.

1874

Adolf Karrer establishes a business in Unterkulm for manufacturing mechanical music boxes.


1880-1883

The owner of the business has a foundry built.
The company is entered in the commercial register, with the purpose of the business stated as "music box manufacture, mechanical movement blanks and keyboard glockenspiels".


1888

Eugen Weber joins the company and manages the sales department before taking charge of accounts.

1894-1895

The workforce is reduced to 53 members of staff due to a decline in the music box business.
Following the death of Adolf Karrer, his widow continues to run the company under the name of Adolf Karrers Witwe (Adolf Karrer's Widow). 
The business is managed by Eugen Weber.


1897-1902

Walter Luginbühl joins the company and pioneers the production of the first small "gas taps".
The manufacture of music boxes finally comes to an end. The company is now called Karrer und Weber, Armaturenfabrik (Karrer and Weber, Faucet Manufacturer.


1919

The Karrer Weber und Cie (Karrer, Weber & Co.) family corporation is established with a capital stock of CHF 750,000.


1948-1957

A new building increases production capacity by 70%. 
The KWC pension fund is established, with 342 members.
KWC's performance is improved by the construction of a hot pressing system and a light metal foundry. 
The company develops the world's first 1-hole kitchen faucet with a pull-out shower hose.


1974

KWC celebrates its centenary.

1984-1987

Stuttgart-based Hansa Metallwerke AG becomes KWC's main shareholder.
The previous company name, Aktiengesellschaft Karrer Weber und Cie, is replaced by the abbreviation KWC AG. 
KWC establishes business relations with the People's Republic of China and supplies low-pressure permanent mould casting systems in the country for the first time.


1991-1996

KWC begins the first stage in setting up new production facilities west of the river Wyna for manufacturing parts. 
KWC subsidiaries are established in Germany, Italy and the US.


1999-2001

KWC celebrates its 125th anniversary by opening the Armaturama museum.
A new electroplating facility is brought into operation, measuring 34 metres in length, 16 metres in width and 10 metres in height. 
A highly efficient waste water treatment system is installed in the machine room below.


2008-2010

Roland Gloor assumes the management of the Marketing and Sales Division and is also appointed Chairman of the Executive Board.
IK Investment Partners, a European private equity firm, takes over Hansa Metallwerke AG along with its Swiss subsidiary KWC AG.
KWC adopts a lean management philosophy and streamlines its production.


2013

Aarburg-based Franke AG acquires the long-established company KWC, bringing it back into Swiss ownership.


2014

KWC celebrates its 140th anniversary. The company realigns its strategic positioning and launches a rebranding campaign.